Friday, July 6, 2012

Complete Pincushion Kits now Available

The Sunflower Pincushion Kit

Every time I look at something created from fabric my second thought, (right after, "oooh, ahhh"), is "I bet I could make that.".

Then I don't.

The fact of the matter is, creating something is not easy. You need materials, equipment and time. Then of course, planning and executing the pattern is one of the most challenging parts of the process.

One of my wonderful Etsy clients asked me to create a kit for one of my most popular pincushions. At first I was a bit wary. Gosh, kits take a lot of time to put together. However, since I'm a "I bet I can make that" kind of person, I just had to give it a go. So I put together a few kits, complete with the pattern, fabric, floss, threads and instructions. Everything you need is there.

Do I feel bad about losing my "original" idea? Heck no. They say flattery is the best compliment. More than that, I am certain her pincushion will look like mine, but it will become hers in the end.


Even if we use the same colors on the same linen, I know her's will have her unique style. The stitches will be bigger or smaller, tighter or looser. The pattern will change according to her comfort level or her willingness to stray from the actual embroidery pattern. She hopefully will add a few bits from her floss stash and make some new marks. Maybe she will add more leaves, make longer petals or even change the pattern completely. You see, our hands, following the directions of our minds will always win over conformity. I love that about handwork.

....

Look for these kits which are already in my shop, or coming soon...
The Big Strawberry Pincushion Kit.

The Coneflower Pincushion Kit


Coming soon- the Lavender Pincushion Kit, complete.

I can also send the pattern and instructions only for these kits upon request. They will be available in my Etsy Shop, Fiberluscious for $8.00 each by the end of July.


No comments: